As the weather gets nicer the grills will be coming out of storage. Today we will be looking at a couple of wines that pair well with grill fare as well as a recipe for your next cookout.
The first wine we will be talking about is Stella Pinot Grigio. This wine is made from the grapes of multiple vineyards. Stella Pinot Grigio is an elegant wine that truly represents the spirit and flavors of Pinot Grigio. It has a refreshing mix of mineral, citrus and spice. You will taste oranges, apples, lemons, limes and pears as well as honey. There is just the right amount of acidity and a hint of zest. Stella Pinot Grigio is a pastel yellow shade with greenish accents. It can be enjoyed with mild cheeses, light pasta dishes and salads.
Another excellent wine for grilling is Healdsburg Ranches Sonoma Zinfandel. This Zinfandel is ruby red with scents of mint and cherry. It comes from vineyards rich with brambly and that truly comes across in the flavor profile. There are clear accents of blueberry as well as quince and white pepper. This is a great wine to match up with a burger and fries. If you’re looking to pair it during inclement weather, consider a lasagna dish.
If you’re looking for an outside the box entrée to pair with these two wines, consider this recipe for Spicy Honey-Glazed Chicken Breasts provided by Rachael Ray. It has a bit of heat and citrus.
· 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
· 1/2 cup honey
· 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
· 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
· 1 teaspoon lemon juice
· 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 4 pounds)
· 1 pineapple peeled, cored and cut into 8 thick rings
1. In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until translucent and beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the honey, hot pepper sauce and chili powder and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and set aside.
2. Preheat a grill or large grill pan to medium-high. Rub the chicken with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt. Grill until well marked, about 7 minutes. Flip and cook until the bottoms are well marked and the chicken is cooked through, another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and brush with the reserved honey glaze. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, grill the pineapple until well marked on one side, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve with the chicken.
We hope you enjoy this wine pairing!